The Tennis Leadership Camp (TLC) was developed in 1984 to provide an educational and motivational tennis experience for NJTL participants who could not otherwise afford such an opportunity. The camp provides NJTL participants with the tennis and social experience of a lifetime. The weeklong session emphasizes character and leadership development, good sportsmanship, physical fitness, proper nutrition, and other healthy attitudes. Tennis is the focus of the week; however, other activities are planned such as, career exploration, sightseeing, cultural, sporting, and social events.
Through a selective application process, forty skilled players from NJTL chapters and programs will be invited to attend the camp. All food, travel, and lodging expenses are covered by the USTA/NJTL. Adult counselors meet the campers at the airport and will accompany them the entire week.
NJTL Program/Chapter Eligibility:
Registered and active NJTL chapters and programs who have conducted on-court programs for one year or more, and have proven their commitment to providing USTA programming in their community are eligible to recommend participants for the all-expenses-paid camp.
Any immediate family of USTA district, sectional, or national staff is ineligible. A youngster must meet the following criteria to be eligible to attend the TLC:
· Player must be a current participant in NJTL and not have previously attended this camp
· Player must be 12-14 years of age as of July 15, 2012
· Player must be within the JNTRP skill rating level of 2.5 to 4.5
· Player’s family must demonstrate financial need
· Upon acceptance, parent/guardian must complete and sign all medical and liability waivers
· Each participant must exhibit positive self-esteem and a good attitude toward his/her peers, as well as demonstrate leadership qualities on the tennis court, as noted by coach
· Must be available July 16 – 22, 2012
· Camp is From July 16 - 22, 2012
· Located in Minneapolis, MN at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Submitted applications will first be reviewed by your USTA/Section NJTL representative and then the USTA National office. Selected applicants will be contacted via phone no later than the first week in July.
Submit the following application no later than Thursday, June 7, 2012, 5:00 PM ET.
To preview or print the application before completing it online, click here.